MOTM NO MERCY MERCER
1. What is your real first name?Share
Leah-Jo but my husband calls me Henry! We won’t get into that…lol
2. What is your derby name and what’s the story behind it?
No Mercy Mercer.. No Mercy is who I am on the track!
3. What is your number and what’s the story behind it?
My number is 11. I have a slight obsession with the number 11 or it has an obsession with me.. I see 11 minutes after the hour often. I make a wish if I see 11:11. In the11 month on the 11 day in the 11 year at 11:11 I had ‘Eleven’ tattooed on my shoulder and it happened to be my 11th tattoo. I recently went on vacation and I sat in row 11 on the airplane, on the way there and the way back. I went white water rafting and my boat # was 11… This is all completely random and as you can see the number 11 and I have a relationship going on so… I couldn’t pick any number other than 11 to represent me.
4. How long have you been playing derby?
5. What position do you normally play?
6. What attracted you to the sport of roller derby?
Roller Skating…. I used to love roller skating at Roller Country to Disco Music. Ooops I hope that doesn’t give away my age..
7. How did you first hear about or go about joining NCRD?
There was an Ad in the local paper looking for girls interested in Roller Derby. I had no idea about the sport of Roller Derby other than what I remembered from the 70’s but I knew I loved to roller skate. So I went to the meetings.
8. How do you support your derby habit? ( job description)
I am in Business with my Family at Superior Auto Collision, Custom & Performance and Krown Rust Control.
9. Is there someone in the world of derby that you idolize or admire and why?
After attending The World Cup in Toronto and seeing so many Roller Derby girls from across the world in action it is hard to just choose just one to admire or idolize. So I am going to look closer to home, I admire Elle Hoar #6 of NCRD as she is the one that has taught me everything I needed to know to get started in Roller Derby along with Violent Fembot #8 she is the one that makes me want to do better.
10. Have you ever met your derby idol?
I don’t really have a Derby Idol but I have met and was trained by some pretty impressive Derby Players including; Suzy Hotrod, Smarty Pants and Wile E. Peyote. I have also played against some awesome players like Semi Precious who was on Team Canada and her team mate Assassinista from Ottawa.
11. What has been one of your most memorable experiences in roller derby?
Ha… Question number 11… Just thought that I would point that out.. My most memorable experience in Roller Derby… Wow that is tuff question. Everything about Roller Derby is memorable. Every practice and every Bout.. But I would have to say the very first bout that I played… I remember how excited I was about playing our first game in London a game that I hardly knew but was rolling in to have a good time. As scared and nervous that I was I will never forget that first Bout
12. Is there anything that you aspire to do as a skater or referee in general?
I aspire to be the best player that I can be for my team….
13. What goes through your mind before you play in a bout?
I hope I don’t pee my pants… Seriously!
14. Do you have a special signature move or play?
I think I best keep that one a secret…
15. What is the hardest part of being a derby girl or referee?
I don’t think there is anything tough about being a Derby Girl or Referee. It takes all kinds of girls.. In all shapes and sizes… You just have to love the sport and trust me when I say “You will love the sport.”
16. Does anyone come out and watch you play?
My husband is my biggest fan he is always out in the crowd cheering on No Mercy and then he tells me all the things that I did… good and bad after the game. Then I have my Friend Julie and her boyfriend Blake who are always at every game they love being spectators at this sport. They know every girls name and their signature move. It’s awesome.
17. Does your family support your derby career?
My husband and sons yes but my parents… not so much. They are afraid that something will happen to me. They did come out to one game last season.
18. Who is your derby wife?
I don’t have a Derby Wife. I had a Derby Wife for a brief time… But I was dumped. Now all the girls are my Derby Wives because I would be there for each and everyone of them.
19. How did you feel the first time someone came up and asked for your autograph or picture?
Surprised!!! I looked around to see if she was really talking to me.
20. Give one reason why someone should join roller derby?
One reason that’s a tuff one too… There are many but if I have to choose one… How about just for the fun of it!!! Live Your Life!!!
21. Give us one word to describe roller derby.
Heart Pumping… Wait that’s two words…
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.